Temple Beth Shalom offers a variety of learning opportunities for members of our congregation and the Long Beach community.
The TBS Board of Directors has sponsored a special ScholarStream course of classes through JTS and the Conservative Yeshiva. Contact email@example.com for links and the registration code.
Jews and Power: From Biblical to Modern Times
Wednesdays at 8 PM ET / 5 PM PT
An exploration of the implementation of Jewish power, in the past and in the present. How have Jews rebelled against, accommodated to, and made use of structures of power in varying historical contexts?
• 2/24: Prof. Jack Wertheimer, “Money and Power in Today’s American Jewish Community”
• 3/3: Rabbi Gordon Tucker, “Allegations of Dual Loyalty in Jewish History”
• 3/10: Prof. Amy Kalmanofsky, “Rebels With a Cause: Insurrection in the Tanakh”
• 3/17: Prof. Marjorie Lehman, “The Power Dynamics of Queen Helene”
Reimagining Exodus Through Stories, Songs and Sightseeing
Thursdays at 1 PM ET / 10 AM PT (1st three sessions); Tuesday at 1 PM ET / 10 AM PT (4th session)*
Join faculty of the Conservative Yeshiva for some Passover-themed learning.
· 3/4: Ilana Kurshan, “Sorcery and Secret Arts: Magic and Demonology in the Lore of Passover, Then and Now”
· 3/11: Dr. Stephen Arnoff, “These Songs of Freedom: Discovering the Rock and Roll Canon for Passover”
· 3/18: Jonty Blackman, “Journeying to and Through the Promised Land: Part I of an In-Depth Tour of Some of Israel’s Most Notable Sites”
· 3/23*: Jonty Blackman, “Journeying to and Through the Promised Land: Part II of an In-Depth Tour of Some of Israel’s Most Notable Sites”